The 5 Levels Of Coffee

Whether it’s in the morning, or late in the afternoon, coffee has become a bit of a normality for the majority of people around the world. In America, around 400 million cups of coffee are drank every day. With these sorts of numbers, I decided to do a little bit of researching myself to test out which coffee cups around me were the best. Sure, maybe this has been done to death, but these sorts of things are important to know in our everyday lives. First, a bit of an explanation. These 5 cups of coffee are supposed to go up in quality, starting from 1 to 5. So, if you’re looking for a better, more travel friendly way of getting your caffeine fix in, then I’ll list a good number of pros and cons. I hope you enjoy.

1. Homebrew

Brewing your own cup of joe at home is probably the easiest way to get coffee. With many different sorts of coffee in packages, you have a whole variety of options to choose from. I personally (being a broke highschool student) went for one of the cheapest options I could find. That means that the Keurig is out of the question. I chose to opt for Folgers. And to make this review more accurate, I only went with one scoop of sugar, and a dash of creamer.

Now, my conclusion? Well, it’s complicated. The pros certainly outweigh the cons. Maybe I didn’t choose the correct brand? Who knows. All I know is that I really did not like it. I’m not too sure actually. My own father drinks and stuff every morning, and I truly do not know how he does it. Perhaps it is a fault on my part, but if it isn’t? Oh, wow. That is certainly something.

Pros

• Easy to prepare
  • Convenient
  • Customizable
  • Fast and easy

Cons 
  • Taste was not very good

Well, it’s certainly coffee. If this is a foreshadow for things to come, then perhaps this review is going to be harder than I thought. Oh, I forgot to mention, I’m writing this review while I’m drinking the coffee, just so I can get a better understanding of the taste, and it’s easier to put it down into text.

2. Gas Station Coffee

Gas station coffee is drunk by many late college students and truck drivers alike. It’s no surprise that it’s most appealing factor is the price and quantity. It’s easy to buy a large cup filled to the brim with piping hot coffee. Unfortunately, I don’t have the bladder capacity for that, so I simply got a smaller cup. It seemed that all they had were basic black coffee pots, made in bulk. Still, I made sure to keep to only one scoop of sugar and a dash of creamer, and my thoughts?

I mean, it certainly wasn’t the worst thing I’ve ever drank. I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would, but perhaps my expectations were a little high for gas station coffee. Oh well, here are my pros and cons.

Pros

• Insanely cheap
  • Large quantity
  • Can bring your own coffee cup

Cons 
  • Watered down
  • Made very cheaply
  • Not many options to choose from

Well, it could certainly be worse. I mean, it’s a step up from the homebrew I got. But, this is all a matter of opinion. Let’s move onto the next pot of coffee.

3. Starbucks

Now, a lot of people drink Starbucks, that’s no surprise. Starbucks is averaged to sell around 8,070,428 cups per day. Now, that’s a lot of coffee. So then, I decided to test out this coffee myself. I personally asked the employee working there what they recommended, and I was given an iced caramel macchiato. Now my thoughts on it? 

Man, that was some good coffee. One of the better ones that I’ve had in my life. It was super sweet, and perfect for a warm day. A great way to get your coffee fix in. Well, that’s just my opinion. The baristas there were super nice, and the atmosphere was relaxing (even though I wasn’t allowed to sit in the lobby.) It was perfect to just sit in my car and listen to music, relaxing after a long day with some nice cool coffee.

Pros

• Sweet and good coffee. Left me wanting more
  • Fast service
  • Relaxing atmosphere
  • Affordable (For high school student standards)
  • Free Wifi

Cons
  • Not able to sit in lobby

Really that’s my only gripe, but I understand with Covid regulations and such going on. Well, it feels like this review is just getting started, so let’s move onto the next destination.

4. White Bison

Now, this is one of the newer coffee shops around here. I certainly have high hopes, that’s for sure. This coffee shop is paired along with a gas station, so there’s plenty of different snack options at your disposal. The atmosphere of the coffee shop is very welcoming. It’s very clean, and quiet. Not something you would usually expect in a coffee shop. It also has a drive through, which is very convenient for people on-the-go. Well, time to try the coffee, and my thoughts?

Well.. It truly depends on what kind of coffee you get. With this store, I went with an iced coffee, while my father went with a hot coffee. He said that the coffee was “Just right.” Well, dad, I’m glad you liked the coffee you got, but unfortunately my iced coffee was insanely watered down. To be honest, it doesn’t really compare to the iced coffee I got at Starbucks. I would prefer the iced coffee at Starbucks to White Bison, but the hot coffee here is very, very good.

Pros

• Hot coffee was great
  • Connected to gas station
  • Atmosphere was welcoming
  • Self-serve coffee pots set up
  • Free Wifi

Cons 
  • Iced coffee was very watered down
  • A little pricey for my taste

It certainly wasn’t terrible, but I expected a lot more from an actual coffee shop, not some sort of fast coffee shop, if that makes sense. It wasn’t all what I expected unfortunately.

Well, it’s now time for the final coffee shop

5. Rocket City Coffee Company

Now, the sight of this restaurant alone caught my attention. This looks like a place you’d see out of a movie or something. It’s almost like a little slice of the big city right in Alabama. The smells and atmosphere are amazing, I could personally stay here for hours.

Now, that’s just naming the atmosphere. Now the coffee on the other hand? How does it hold up?

Pros

• Relaxing atmosphere
  • Delicious coffee
  • Plenty of space
  • Lovely staff

Cons 
  • Charged extra for syrup
  • A little pricey

Besides the price of things, I think this place is amazing. This is certainly a hidden gem out in Madison. I would personally recommend this place over others if you have the chance to try it out. Even for a non-coffee drinker like my sister, it’s a lovely place to go.

Well, anyways, that’s it for my coffee shop reviews. I hope you enjoyed reading this article, and I certainly hope that you get to check out the lovely coffee places that Alabama has to offer.